[Lilug-dev-sig] Best way to troubleshoot

Rob Wilkens robwilkens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 07:49:11 PST 2009

I've got an issue that I would think would belong on the lilug main
list, except I'm thinking of rather than complaining about the problem
I might try to download the source and see if i can fix it myself.

I've got an issue with evolution, I just installed ubuntu 9.10 and
evolution crashes with
" 'assertion `name != NULL` failed " .. and gives a little more
information  which it repeats until finally it says Segmentation
fault.

I installed an IMAP and 2 POP accounts onto it just before it crashed on me.

I'm probably going to be out the next day or two, and won't get
started right away, but can someone help get me up to speed with the
best way to find the evolution source (google?) , the best debugging
tools to use (gdb? something better?) , any trace tools worth
installing, basically what i need to get started, presuming i'm
familiar with some basics like hopefully the language its written in
and general unix (not really x-windows or gnome) programming.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Rob

p.s. here's the exact crash message:
** (evolution:2072): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name
!= NULL' failed

(repeats, then...)

Segmentation fault