[Lilug-dev-sig] Checking in

Rob Wilkens robwilkens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 05:26:33 PST 2011

Hey all.. (is anyone still using this list?)

I was last posting on here in January, and I noticed no one has posted
since then...

Earlier in the year I got a new laptop and haven't had linux installed
on it until yesterday (installed ubuntu 11.10 and am quite impressed -
it's missing things like desktop icon creation - which can be
downloaded separately or done with a text editor, but i think that
makes it a more simplified desktop, and i like the launcher and the
ability to pin icons onto the launcher like you can in windows - oh
and the separation of the window menus from the window like on MacOS
is also kind of nice once i figured out how it worked)... One other
thing - like the new app store in ubuntu - surprised to see some
available apps that you can buy through the software center, not that
i've bought anything yet.  I don't remember that being in previous
versions.

I can actually use this installation because, for example, if i need
to run quicken it has rdesktop which i can use to connect to my
desktop remotely where it's run from.  rdesktop seems quicker than
windows remote desktop - at least in terms of time required to
establish the connection.

Since this is the developer list, i thought i'd share why i installed
linux in the first place yesterday -- I decided to try to download and
compile android 4 source -- at best i'll run it in the emulator - i
don't plan on manually upgrading my phone...  It seems to take forever
to compile, but i understand it's got a lot in it.  I think i now have
all the packages required for it to compile, but if i don't adding
them and picking up where the compile failed isn't so bad.

One negative to ubuntu is that when it wakes from suspend to ram or
suspend to disk, quite often the video is out of sync.  This causes me
to need to manually power off (hold in the power button) -- it would
be much nicer if I could get it to reset the video driver on resume.

I was a little surprised that ubuntu picked up the make an model of my
computer, which not even i know :-> (HP 2000 notebook - it used that
in the auto generated hostname.

-Rob
p.s. Does dev-sig still have meetings?  Again, i looked at list
archives and haven't seen anything since january.  If i recall, last
time i was at a meeting it was me and another guy (lord knows i'm bad
with names, i just remember he worked in the past for a playground
company near 110 and is a bowler).