[Lilug] Ubuntu Exclusives

Peter Strifas pstrifas at novell.com
Mon Feb 9 06:47:35 PST 2009

<3dc789670902090636n70b28426nab7f2c09d1d9129c at mail.gmail.com>, Michael Lee
<mlee456 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been noticing that there have been some apps that are exclusive to the
> Ubuntu distro.
> I don't know if I like this trend.  Is there some reason why the software
> has to run on a specific distro?
>
> Specifically I know of 'ebox' and just read about 'giver' a little while
> ago.
>
> -- mike

In my experience, this often occurs for 2 reasons: a) a distro company has provided some assistance (usually free developer or engineering resources) to make the package function on their distro  OR  b) the app developers (or company) internally use a specific distro therefore they first develop there then add support for additional distros as time allows. Of course LSB is supposed to make this 'more better' . . .

- Peter