[Lilug] Multi-Site Suggestions

Michael Lee mlee456 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:25:41 PST 2009

All the VPN's stay up (ahem) 24x7.  But I figure I'm going to have to have a
server at each locale and perform some form of replication of ldap stores
and other information stores.
I was playing with LDAP a while ago and I have a quick question.  Will users
that authenticate against the LDAP tree be able to change their own
information.  Last time I looked at it the tree was only modifiable by the
administrator.  From what you said Chris, it leads me to think that
Multi-Master allows for "site" administrators to manage users.

So again we get to the issue of end-users being able to modify their own
information.  Seems like it should be possible, and if so, where are rights
established in the config?

Also, I'll only mention this because It seems like it is part of the
subject.  I was looking as SLES which is SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.  The
Novell rep was talking to me about the Novell Directory and Xen ( or is it
Zen ... I know one is for system management and the other is for Virtual
Machines ).  They also charge by seat, but open up all of their software
to support those seats.  So a Multi-Server Multi-Site Directory Service does
not break the bank.

-- Mike