[Lilug] Fun with debian packages

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Sat Feb 14 06:31:44 PST 2009

Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2009, Kenneth Downs wrote:
>
>> I'm experimenting with a debian package on a virtual machine, and
>> have managed to get to the state where nothing can be installed
>> until this package is removed, but the package cannot be removed
>> because it cannot find an archive for it.
>>
>> I'd like to learn something here, which is how to tell ubuntu to
>> get rid of the package even if it cannot find an archive?
>>

> sudo dpkg -P <package name>
>
> I've loaded plenty of packages that have no online archives for
> them -- it's not required for a package to have an archive in order
> to install or remove it.
>
>   -- Chris

I'll try.  I guess I should have said I'm trying *build* a package, and
have built one that is broken, and has left the machine unable install
anything until its fixed.

...and like I said, it's a virtual, so I can just rollback to the
post-install snapshot, but I thought it would be a good idea to stop and
this point and learn how to repair this.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.