[Lilug] Fun with debian packages

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Sat Feb 14 07:08:30 PST 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> Anthony Ehrhardt wrote:
> > Are you using synaptic? Try this in a console:
> > sudo synaptic &
>
> I should have mentioned that I'm working out how to build a
> package, so this broken package is mine.  The actual archive is
> sitting in a plain old directory of my user.

I assumed both of these -- nothing wrong with it.

> Synaptic says:
>
> " E: the package test needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
> archive for it."
> " E: Internal error opening chache(1).  Please report."

What you really need is the output from the process, i.e. the output
from apt.  There should be a way to get Synaptic to give you those
details of what happened while running apt-get, and that output
should give you a clue as to how you have to modify test.postrm or
test.postinst in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ so that they can complete.
Hint: at minimum, both of those files have to exist and be
executable.

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle