[Lilug] LiveCD disk backup software

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Wed Feb 18 13:19:04 PST 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Will wrote:
> So, I'm looking to back up a 1TB drive to a computer somewhere on
> my network. I don't have too many files on the device itself, but I
> want to back up the partition tables still so I can just restore
> the device back to before I backed it up.

Personally I think backing up a "cloned image" that contains
everything including the partition table is a mistake.  Why?  Well,
let's say you want to get files back.  Oops -- now you have to
restore both the partition table and the ENTIRE image.  :-/  That's a
pain in the butt.

There are cases where cloned images make sense -- like putting cloned
images of the OS on computers in the workplace.  But I think they're
a mistake for backups because they don't allow you random access.

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us