[Lilug] Stripping down an Ubuntu Image?

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:39:01 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> wrote:

> Before you do that figure out how to make an unattended install script
> in ubuntu. Don't make this a manual chore to update.
>

> Lost me here.  Do you mean something other than the deb package?  Cuz what
> I'm talking about here is running the deb package in a vm, stripping it
> down, and then putting the VDI file up there on sourceforge.  So everything
> will be installed an ready to go.

Let me clarify. Every decent OS, and Windows as well, has some sort of
"automated install" option where you can make a simple text file to set
install options automatically. I've never done this personally, but I'm
pretty sure its part of the MCSE, RHCE and whatever Solaris calls its
certificate.

The idea being, once you figure out what to strip from the OS, you make an
install script that allows you to replicate this install. Initially this
seems like a moot point for a virtual image that can easily be copied.
However, you get the following:

   1. You can rerun the install inside of vmware, virtualpc, quemu etc, or
   allow others to do so.
   2. When a new ubuntu OS comes out its probably going to be pretty easy to
   port the script over.
   3. You can make the script install from a custom .deb (or whatever the
   frak ubuntu uses) repo and put custom packages in.