[Lilug] optonline router

lgrosenthal at 2rosenthals.com lgrosenthal at 2rosenthals.com
Wed Aug 26 09:51:21 PDT 2015

Hi, all...

FYI: I do not believe that this is an issue with business-class service, so the answer may be to pay the higher fee (better support, anyway), and be done with it.

At my place, I have FiOS *and* Cablevision, both business-class. I don't use the FiOS (Actiontek) router for much, though video-on-demand utilizes it, and I am testing an isolated WLAN for my Roku devices to bypass my normal filtering and web proxy which is otherwise applied and causes blocking of spme streaming channels. The Cablevision connection is a "backup" line (15Mbps/5Mbps vs FiOS 50Mbps synchronous), and consists of a Motorola "surfboard" coupled with a Cisco 800-series 4-port router (no Wi-Fi from Cablevision, at all).

I don't know what the TV situation is from Cablevision when requesting business-class service. When I did have Cable TV, I had a separate account for that (TV alone), and that was several years ago.

Personally, no matter how well they firewall the public WLAN from the private LAN, I don't like anyone having such access to equipment that close to my personal or business systems (the Cisco 800 is on the far side of my normal router, which is Astaro Security Linux - now Sophos - though even something like pfSense should be adequate).

GL

--
Lewis