[Lilug] Ugh, Searching for a New Distro

iN8sWoRld.net nate at in8sworld.net
Wed Jul 15 03:06:15 PDT 2015

I would second (third?) going the virtualized route (I'm running Ubuntu
server on VMware ESXi myself).  I haven't used Redhat in years and while I
realize its strengths, theres something to be said for being able to spin
something up quick and provide results.  Virtualization rocks not only for
ease of setup (in this case dealing with the RAID controller hardware for
you), but for portability of the Linux server you create on top of it to
new hosting hardware in future, backing that server up, or just taking a
quick restorable copy of the server before a major upgrade.  You can also
then run another smaller server (even a hated Windows server ;) on that
hardware alongside your Linux server if needed, and easily shuffle
resources (memory/disk space) between virtual machines as needed.

Nate