[Lilug] optonline ESSID

Jorg Kewisch jorg at bnl.gov
Mon Aug 1 06:31:37 PDT 2016

I use one of these cablevision routers. My laptop would work fine for a
couple of minutes and then lose the connection for a minute. A trace of
the problem was in /var/log/syslog. I called the help desk and talked to
a nice and competent guy (thank you, Adam) who figured out that the
router works on 2.4 MHz and 5 MHz with the same ESSID. It seems that the
laptop was always switching to the stronger signal. Adam changed the
settings, so that the two frequencies have now different ESSIDs and the
problem is gone.

jorg