[Lilug] Evil Microsoft at it again...

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:55:37 PDT 2016

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. . .

They MIT licensed a bunch of their source code. They are working hard to
make it work on linux. Yes they totally want you to deploy that .NET linux
app on azure so you pay them a monthly feel. Yes they totally want you drop
a grand for Visual Studio. Yes they totally want you to join those linux
azure VMs to active directory and use SQL Server (being ported to linux and
not open sourced) as the data store. Yes this is totally part of their plan
to make money,

However, they literally released this under an MIT Open Source license. I
don't think RMS himself could find a moral objection to you using
PowerShell on debian on your laptop (although I'm sure he'd prefer you use
Hurd as your kernel).

All that being said, the reality is Microsofts strategy is cloud focused.
Their incentives have changed. 15 years ago Embrace, Extend Extinguish was
a legitimate fear. At this point Microsoft can't destroy Linux with Windows
anymore than IBM could with their combined Mainframe, IBMi (what used to be
called the AS/400) and OS/2 Warp empires.