[Lilug] Planet LILUG down?

Matt Surico surico at buoy.com
Tue May 31 04:30:09 PDT 2016

On 05/30/2016 06:25 PM, iN8sWoRld.net wrote:
> I noticed this was non-functional as well.  What software was this
> running by the way?  It appears that the planetplanet software is
> quite old and there were some successors to it.

Hi everyone.

I've been looking at this issue on our hosted server.  On the surface it
seems that the root cause of the problem is that the hosting provider is
detecting a trojan (r57 shell).  So we're getting errors in the apache
log for this subdomain every time the index.html file is accessed, and
the "418 unused" error we are seeing is generated.

Digging a bit further, it appears this may or may not be a false
positive.  There is an "extra web security" option in the panel for the
subdomain which, according to a few other posters, may trigger this
behavior.

I temporarily turned this option off and then waited about 10 minutes
for it to take effect.  Sure enough, the error does not occur now.  I'll
leave it off for a while but may turn it back on again to experiment
further.

It's possible that someone's blog entry within the feed aggregation is
being determined to be a trojan (since the planetplanet software we
have, version 2.0, does not use PHP itself), rightly or wrongly.

I'm trying to decipher the pattern match in the error log and see if I
can spot the specific string that's triggering this.

If anyone wants to discuss the specifics on this issue further,
including the log entries I'm seeing, I'm happy to communicate off-list.

Thanks and regards,
Matt S.
LILUG Secretary/webmaster