[Lilug] Question about Linux the last 5 years

Robert Wilkens robwilkens42 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 04:13:31 PDT 2016

About the time i purchased my last 2 laptops (over 4-5 years) with the
newer firmware (uefi?) i realized it was a lot harder to dual boot linux
with Windows.  I must emphasize i know i can probably turn off secure boot
to solve this, but if i do that Windows becomes non-bootable in my
experience (I don't want to reinstall that if i can avoid it).  Also, my
system has been more 'stable' with secure boot it seems.

1. Is this still the case?  Is it still difficult to install linux as dual
boot in a secure boot environment?

2. Is Linux worth running these days or am I "good enough" just using the
ubuntu subsystem in Windows 10 with Xming or some other X window system.

3. If not that, for a casual developer (not a professional) would i be
better off just running in something like VirtualBox?  The one
disadvantage, is that i believe i lose graphics accelleration or whatever
else.

For the purposes of following along at lilug meetings if i attend in the
future, of the above what is the best option?  I went to the 'dia' meeting
and was able to use the ubuntu subsystem in windows 10 to follow well
enough, but i don't know if that will always be the case.

I realize there may be more than one 'right answer', i'm just looking for
ideas.  I may not take action on any of them until november-ish.

-Rob