[Lilug] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi (?) Drivers

robwilkens42 at gmail.com robwilkens42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:14:42 PDT 2016

Today, I’ve set up Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.1) on my laptop and desktop

On the laptop, the wi-fi seems to go in and out—
  -it stays connected
  -But sporadically, for maybe 30 second to 2 minutes or more, no data transfers
  -At the time this is happening, I cannot even connect locally to my router or desktop Linux machine on network from the laptop

On a reboot there was a “general protection fault” which stopped the boot, something to do with “RF” (radio frequency a.k.a. wifi?) though I didn’t write down the message because I was In a hurry to see if a reboot fixed it--- the reboot allowed it to boot all the way through that time.

This is frustrating

My concern: Let’s say I wanted to troubleshoot the driver to see what was going on, I have a secure boot system, so would I be able to boot a custom kernel or load a custom driver?  If so, can someone point me towards documentation on what I have to do “special” (if anything) to make this happen.

-Rob

Sent from Mail for Windows 10