[Lilug] Chromebook Question

Christopher Merlo cmerlo441 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 09:29:46 PDT 2016

Hi everybody.  Long time, no post.  I've been living a virtually 100% Apple
lifestyle lately - three Macs, iPhone, Apple Watch - and so, other than my
server at school, I haven't had a lot of Linux in my life lately.

But the latest couple of announcements from the Apple Adapter Company might
change that for me.  The OLED strip on the new MacBook Pros just isn't
enough to make me overlook all the other anti-Pro decisions they seem to
have made.  I'm not running out today to sell my Macs, but when the time
comes, I don't think I'll be replacing them with Macs.

Which brings me to my question.  If I invest in a really powerful desktop
machine for home, what's the feasibility of spending a whole lot less on a
Chromebook (I already use things like Google Docs a bit anyway), and using
Crouton to switch to an X environment and ssh into home for the hard stuff,
like running LaTeX or compiling code?  Is anyone doing that?  Should I
think about splitting the money differently, and getting a nicer laptop?
Maybe spend a lot on a laptop, use that for everything, and just get a nice
monitor for home?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  I've probably got a couple of years
before I have to decide.
-Chris