[Lilug] Chromebook Question

Anthony Biondo tonyb at tonybox.net
Sat Oct 29 09:38:54 PDT 2016

I've got a dell chromebook 13, I don't use chrome OS on it at all though.  I flashed on SeaBIOS and installed Debian Testing.  I upgraded the storage to 256gb with an M.2 ssd. It's surprisingly powerful, and it's completely replaced my desktop for daily use.  It can run gnome3, a browser, things like LaTeX, etc., without issue - it's a pretty good machine.

Things to look out for: ARM chromebooks aren't very powerful and are harder to put a full Linux distribution on, mine has an intel core i3 (5th gen, I think).  Some chromebooks have eMMC storage that is very slow and not upgradable, mine has an M.2 slot that let me upgrade it.  Also, some of the less expensive ones have TN displays which aren't very pleasant to look at and have a bad viewing angle, I am partial to my Dell's 1080p IPS display.

-Tony

Sent from my mobile device.