[Lilug] looking for a rack-mount all-in-one workstation

Rocco Laudadio testing1567 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 09:23:47 PDT 2016

Would something like this work?  It's a motorized flip out screen for a car
with VGA inputs and a usb touch screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-7-In-Dash-LCD-Monitor-AV1-AV2-TV-VGA-w-Touch-option/331946744690?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D87a9cdc8dfed40c69888605c16270ec1%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D331946744690

It might take some work to make it into a rack mount unit, but it should be
small enough that it's doable.  The mount size is a standard in cars called
1 DIN and they usuallt come with a metal brace designed to clamp it into
any surface with the appropriately sized opening.

The way it works is you pry out the metal tabs so that it holds itself into
the cutout and then you slide the unit into it and it clicks into place.

>From wikipedia:

Head units generally come in either *single DIN* (180 x 50 mm panel) or *double
DIN* (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized; as a result,
some cars such as the Opel Manta <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Manta> /
Ascona have the correct sized front aperture but will accommodate few DIN
sized radios other than the original due to the shallow depth; this despite
the vehicle being manufactured as late as 1988. The US standard for a DIN
radio is 7" x 2" (although the actual 180 mm width converts to something
like 7-3/32" so most people use 7-1/8" to allow for clearance) and the
Double DIN sized radio is a 7" x 4". Some radios in Japanese Kei cars
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car> do not conform to the DIN standard
however.