[Lilug] Fwd: Fwd: A Special Update from Dark Reading Co-Founder Tim Wilson

Robert Schoenfeld frank_james at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 30 17:32:18 PDT 2017

Got this off of one of my other email addresses Thought it would be of
interest to some of you

Bob

-

An Update From Tim Wilson
View this Email in Your Browser
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/es.aspx?s=2150&e=716625&elqTrackId=4d2f299c34cc4b1bbcd55c678e9ed45d&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

Special Discounts Available
#InSecurity
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99731&elqTrackId=49974738ce2a4577abbad3dd33785995&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

*November 29-30, 2017 | Gaylord National Resort | MD *

Dear Robert,

If there’s a silver lining to recent ransomware attacks such as WannaCry
or NotPetya, it’s that they have highlighted the need to get back to
basics in the practice of data defense. The everyday tasks of
cybersecurity – patch management, backup, malware protection, and many
others – are often the difference between a major breach and a quiet day
at the office.

At Dark Reading, we are building an event that will feature these
everyday tasks – and the people who perform them. The event, dubbed
INsecurity
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99734&elqTrackId=ea21947f77e6463fbf3e4d35d1238bae&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>,
takes place on Nov. 29-30 at the Gaylord National Harbor near
Washington, D.C. and is designed to highlight the practice of data
defense. INsecurity takes a step back from latest threats and
vulnerabilities to focus more on the basic “blocking and tackling” of
cybersecurity – issues such as cyber risk management, security awareness
training, and staffing/budgeting. It’s a chance to think about what
security defenders do – and how they can do it better.

This event is shaping up well and many more speakers will be announced
in the days to come.

  * *Greg Touhill*, the country’s first Federal CISO, author and a
    former cyber leader at the Department of Homeland Security and in
    the U.S. military will be joining us as a Keynoter. We believe that
    Greg will offer a unique insight on the practice of security, both
    on the front lines and in the boardroom.
  * *Dmitri Alperovitch*, CTO and co-founder of Crowdstrike and one of
    the world’s leading experts on nation-state threats, will also join
    us at INsecurity to conduct a special cyber exercise in which
    attendees can each play a role.
  * *Paul Kurtz*, a former White House cyber advisor and now the
    co-founder and CEO of TruSTAR, will lead a discussion on information
    sharing.
  * *Roselle Safran*, who led the security operations center at the
    White House and US-CERT, will speak on managing security budgets.

I Want to Attend
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99732&elqTrackId=f8967a353d764318924fee314a9e2622&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

We’re also excited about the way the INsecurity event will be conducted.
Unlike some other security conferences, where attendees sit quietly in
dark rooms illuminated only by PowerPoint slides, INsecurity is an event
built for conversation. Half of the sessions will be large group
discussions on critical issues, led by topic experts and protected under
Chatham House Rules. There will also be many roundtable discussions,
where groups of eight or ten security pros can meet and privately
discuss topics of interest. The goal of the event is to not only promote
learning, but also real, practical conversation among colleagues.

INsecurity
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99734&elqTrackId=4b7e945e446b4a8885a2e4818f1f67d5&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1> will
be a different type of IT security event, not only in its focus on
defense, but in its format and structure. You’ll be able to get advice
and recommendations from top experts and security practitioners, and
you’ll be able to participate in large and small discussion groups, as
well as cyber exercises that help illustrate today’s challenges and best
practices. You’ll get insight that actually helps you to do your job.

If you haven’t already, I hope that you’ll take a look at our agenda
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99733&elqTrackId=97f57edc0a3745af9818646e7fc07403&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>and
consider attending the conference this November. Be sure to register
soon to get our Early Bird rate and save $500. This event is shaping up
to be a game-changer!

Take Advantage of Early Bird Rate
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99732&elqTrackId=f8967a353d764318924fee314a9e2622&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

Best regards,

Tim Wilson
Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief
Dark Reading

P.S. Don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions at
insecurityregistration at ubm.com <mailto:insecurityregistration at ubm.com>.

UBM
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=89505&elqTrackId=59dfe1147ab9414fb763f38d39b3fcb4&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

Facebook
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=94571&elqTrackId=5fef4f49567e4b2d8fad096b6c5282d5&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>
	Twitter
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=72886&elqTrackId=83889db3291446408276ad69db25c5b9&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>
	LinkedIn
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=98846&elqTrackId=caa7afbe45a34d7c9fe8114351373663&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

#INsecurityCon
*Dark Reading INsecurity c/o UBM*
303 Second St., Suite 900 South Tower
San Francisco, CA 94107
www.INsecurity.com
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=99731&elqTrackId=0252a661bb8641a3806049175a4a3fdf&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

If you feel you have received this message in error, or no longer wish
to receive messages from Dark Reading INsecurity, please UNSUBSCRIBE
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=68903&elqTrackId=fc0342e9901843c2ac487c57dc800fbf&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

© UBM 2017. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy
<http://app.reg.techweb.com/e/er?elq_mid=80040&elq_cid=5671121&s=2150&lid=156&elqTrackId=11b8cebb4e6f45e396b7419b02a9ee88&elq=36b2a3b58c32490ea6857348246664ac&elqaid=80040&elqat=1>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
Bob