[Lilug] Something to read while we hunt around for a speaker

Robert Wilkens robwilkens42 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 03:49:29 PDT 2017

If i got nothing else out of your paper, i loved reading this one sentence
at the beginning:

By clinging to the nomenclature of automation (as least as old as the water
mill) as a complete stand in for a social phenomenon, organizations
undermine their own efforts.

I remember back in the mid 1990s i was working for New York City Civil
Court (Manhattan), in the IT Department, except the signs posted around the
department kept calling it the 'automation' department.  I kept wondering
what they planned on automating!  Was their goal to have the judges
replaced by computers which hear the cases and do all the research and
maybe pop up their decision on screen in an efficient manner or something?

Don't think it would be wise for me to volunteer...   It's hard enough
right now to get myself to even attend, never mind stand and talk.

I mean, yes, about 10 years ago (2007) i did volunteer for two lectures at
LIPHP where all i did was (a few days before) read and make slides from a
book on PHP certification, then try to talk like an expert -- the second
talk when it became obvious i knew next to nothing about the specifics of
regular expressions, that's when things felt kind of awkward - yeah, at
least on that topic the audience knew more than i did :-).

On a bright note, doing that, i learned enough to get certified at the
time.  Not that i did anything with it.

-Rob

---
Sent from Tablet