[Lilug] What is the perfect meeting topic?

Jorg Kewisch jorg at bnl.gov
Fri May 12 08:27:56 PDT 2017

On 05/11/2017 10:14 PM, Lee Wilbur wrote:
>> What else would people like to learn about?
>
> Make the meetings "classes" - I'd find it VERY useful have a Python or Ruby or other language "101" that treats me like I know nothing of this scripting language and has small projects we can build along with an instructor - "everyone, build a script that pings a set of IPs listed in a file" - now follow along... practical lesson(s) that can start people actually doing as opposed to knowing what can be done...
>
> My .02
> -Lee

I was thinking about that for a while. It might be good for me to get
some teaching experience with a well meaning audience.

I program in C/C++ and PYTHON, which combines the best of two worlds.
Which language to teach? C has a bunch of important concepts (arrays,
pointers) which PYTHON is hiding from you. So learning C gives you a
better education, because you understand what python is doing for you.
PYTHON is much more useful to the average IT girl or guy after the class.

I wonder if one could do both in one class and not confuse everybody.
What do you think?

I could also give a talk about backyard beekeeping (a little but off-topic).

Jorg