[Lilug] On-topic to last night's meeting

iN8sWoRld.net nate at in8sworld.net
Wed Apr 11 13:25:29 PDT 2018

I'm sorry to hear that you have found it difficult to make money with free
software.  Its often difficult for folks in industries disrupted by new
technologies to figure out a way to make money in a new economy.  This has
happened over and over again thoughout history and will not stop any time
soon.  You won't find a job as a milkman or an elevator operator no matter
how much you beat the pavement looking for one.  You mentioned automation,
and I think we've all heard the predictions that driverless cars may soon
displace all delivery drivers for example.  We could deal with this
information a couple ways, but ignoring the warnings, getting a CDL and
selling our homes to buy a big rig might not be the best choice.

The bright side of change of course is that for all the jobs lost in
maintaining legacy COBOL applications there have been a bucket-load of
people making mobile and web applications.  In fact, it seems to me that
there are many *more* people writing code today than there used to be
precisely because its more accessible (both in the availability of training
and opportunity to market on the internet).  Programming is still one of
the highest paying jobs you can have - and no messy physical work
required!

--
iN8sWoRLd
https://www.in8sworld.net