[Lilug] Interesting read and cautionary tale

odinson odinson at warcloud.net
Fri Mar 1 18:01:04 PST 2019

I've had a few raid1 failures on Linux over the years, and they were all
hardware.  No 0 (which is always insane IMO) or 10 involved.  I've never
had the dying or dead disk corrupt the data on the good one.  I've seen
it on other systems and hardware raid, but not Linux.  Has anyone had
that happen?

Don't forget all disks have SMART these days.  It's really rare for smart
to miss hardware errors.

Storage is cheap IMO, which makes raid 0 crazy.  If you need more space,
just buy it.  Or if it's huge (expensive) tier your data retention
strategy to reflect it's importance, putting cheap data where you don't
care about it.

Matt

Matthew Newhall, M.A.Newhall at warcloud.net
A.S. in Computer Science, SUNY Farmingdale
My weekly podcast, The Technocrat Live.  http://www.thetechnocratlive.com
President and founder of LILUG;  president at lilug.org, http://www.lilug.org
My theory; Psychopaths precede the conscience, http://civgene.matthewnewhall.com
Scifi book; "Thicker Than Blood"  http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com
My maker blog; "The modness", http://themodness.wordpress.com
"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that
you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the
country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost,
you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the
bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be
true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin
fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and
thieves."
 	-- Andrew Jackson