[Lilug] Who's heard of the ICANN 5/20/17 DNS Cannouncement? Not me. thetechnocratlive.com

odinson odinson at warcloud.net
Sun Mar 3 19:20:23 PST 2019

Hi

 	Turns out ICANN got a little more creepy last year.  If you buy
your own domains and serve your own dns, after 5/20/17, you have to
verify your email and reply to the registrar to actually activate the
domain.

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2017-05-19-en

 	Not sure about others, but dotster is definately enforcing this.
Oddly it did work if you attempt multiple lookups, so from my perspective
it masquraeded as a resolved DNS config error on my server.

 	DON'T go by whois.  It will look healthy but one off lookups will
dump nothing.

 	Remote DNS testers like this work fine.
https://www.dnswatch.info/

 	So if anybody was trying to go to the technocrat page and it
didn't work, that should be better now.

 	Huge thanks to Rob for testing the site and pointing this out.

 	Please if you experience any tech gotyas like this feel free to
share them on the LILUG lists.  In the purest sense, that's what LILUG is
for.  :)

Matthew Newhall, M.A.Newhall at warcloud.net
A.S. in Computer Science, SUNY Farmingdale
My weekly podcast, The Technocrat Live.  http://www.thetechnocratlive.com
President and founder of LILUG;  president at lilug.org, http://www.lilug.org
My theory; Psychopaths precede the conscience, http://civgene.matthewnewhall.com
Scifi book; "Thicker Than Blood"  http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com
My maker blog; "The modness", http://themodness.wordpress.com
"His crime wasn't taking time, he was giving it away."
-- Raymond Leon, Timekeeper 'In Time' 2011