[Lilug] Matlab concurrent license fails on only one user x host combo

John Cholewa jcholewa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:23:40 PST 2019

Hey, long time no post!  I'm having a humdinger of a problem and was
wondering if anybody out there might have experienced similar issues.

My lab has a concurrent Mathworks license.  Right now, we're nowhere near
the limit of any of our products.  We use Matlab on a half dozen or so
machines, and we have about as many users who run it from time to time.
One user is getting a "License Manager Error -15" on one of our machines.
All other users can start Matlab on that machine.  The user having the
aforementioned problem can start Matlab on all other machines.  The problem
only happens when that specific user tries to start Matlab on that specific
machine.

Startup files are identical across users and across all machines.  Users
can override the defaults, but there are no overrides in place for this
user on this machine.  Matlab runs on an nfs share,  so it could
potentially be affected by high network traffic, but this is a very oddly
specific set of conditions, and I/O related issues would lead to more
random results.  This problem happened once before here, some time last
year, but the situation resolved itself before much investigation could
take place.

I've searched for Mathworks license issues but couldn't find anything that
matched this scenario.  While I will be using their support structure, I
thought I'd pop by here first to see if anybody has ever experienced a
similar issue.