[Lilug] Mail Server

Peter Gutmann peter at gutmann.com
Fri May 8 08:09:08 PDT 2020

There is a lot to setting up a mail server that needs to happen after
you purchase your domain,

  * Internet facing DNS
  * setup the Sendmail/Postfix server (and you are thinking about server
    failure here also?)
      o Making sure that your server is not configured as an "internet
        facing open relay".
  * Setting up Anti-Virus & Anti SPAM tools to help protect your
    mailboxes from Viruses and Malware.
  * Setting up Mailboxes with IMAP access and certificates toget you
    mail from the mailboxes you created.
  * Optional setting up TLS, SPF, DKIM, and DMARC verification of your
    messages.

Or you can use one of the host of mailbox providers that are available
on the internet.

  * Google (gmail or Gsuite)
  * Microsoft (outlook.com)
  * AWS
  * your domain registrar has one I am sure.
  * There are a number others available.

There is a lot to setup and keep running to make this work effectively.