[Lilug] Mail Server

Mark Drago markdrago at gmail.com
Fri May 8 13:51:39 PDT 2020

Hey Jim,

Before you buy a domain to use on your home mail server you should know
that this is not going to be a simple process. For various reasons home
ISPs block ports like 25 (SMTP) that will, at best, complicate this
endeavor. If your main goal is to get some experience with setting up
servers at home I would recommend starting with HTTP, using a port other
than port 80, and using a dynamic dns service to assign a name to your IP
(which is likely dynamic and subject to change over time). I've had a good
experience with afraid.org <https://freedns.afraid.org/>, but there are
many similar services. If you're really committed to hosting your own email
server at home, the path of least resistance is likely to depend on a
third-party service to receive your inbound email which you then pull down
to your server periodically.

Best of luck !

Mark.