[Lilug] Chromebook

iN8sWoRld.net nate at in8sworld.net
Mon May 18 18:40:21 PDT 2020

Hi Orrin,

I've been using a Chromebook for casual computing for years and have had a
few.  I currently use an ASUS C202SA-YS04 which is a tiny 11.6" ruggedized
version made for kids in school.  Not fast, not great screen, but battery
lasts a good long time and instantly on.  It ties you into the Google suite
so if you don't like that its not for you.  But, if you don't mind using
Gmail, etc. its basically just a Chrome browser and nearly everything runs
fine in Chrome.  Whats "nice" is you can also install android apps (if
you're not an apple guy) which means if you have some special apps you like
they may work on the chromebook too.  And of course most importantly, you
can run Linux applications in two ways on it.  Chromebooks now support
Linux directly (in a way) with their Crostini thing which you turn on it
the settings and you get a terminal running Ubuntu basically, but you can
also install apps like Gimp, etc.  If you don't like their method (its
slow) you can also investigate Crouton (another way to run Linux on the
Chromebook) which is faster but less "integrated" into the OS.

I've overcome most of the limitations and can do 90% of my kicking around
relaxing computing on it.  Serious work I leave to my various Linux PCs and
laptops of course!

Nate

--
iN8sWoRLd