[Lilug] New LILUG website! Check it out

odinson at warcloud.net odinson at warcloud.net
Thu Apr 13 11:01:40 PDT 2023

Hello All

    After the HTML5 talk on Tuesday I was inspired so I banged out a new
static LILUG website.  Modern, slick, and AFICT, no broken links or
strange DNS entries.  Been a while since my last all nighter.

Some interesting facts for posterity

It's back up on dreamhost.  Was on warcloud.net for quite a while.  I've
long contended that hosting LILUG on someones personal server is not ideal
and I've finally gotten it off of mine.

It's entirely static.  While there are dynamic subdomains for lilug.org
(like the list management for this list), the main LILUG site is all
static pages.  This is not a cop out.  I can set up a dynamic site but my
view is more nuanced than that.

We NEED some sort of automated management system (like a damn smart/AI
CMS) but IMO the main site should be autogenerated static pages.  With
links to a dynamic domain as needed.   It's no secret the old  dynamic
site was exploited and had to be shut down.  That was predictable as we
are all volunteers and sometimes, well it's just not the priority.

The new site uses lots of HTML5 and CSS3 features and should work on both
ridiculously large and ridiculously small devices.

I take requests and bug reports.  It could stop at any time but I am open
to suggestions.  The lighthouse light on the LOGO was suggested during the
LILUG meeting. (Check out the static.css to see how that was done.)

I am the acting author/webmaster at the moment, but I am recruiting RSN.
:)

OK hit me with the hate, I am full of love.  :)

http://www.lilug.org

Matthew Newhall, M.A.Newhall at warcloud.net
A.S. in Computer Science, SUNY Farmingdale
My weekly podcast, The Technocrat Live.  http://www.thetechnocratlive.com
President and founder of LILUG;  president at lilug.org, http://www.lilug.org
My theory; Psychopaths precede the conscience, http://civgene.matthewnewhall.com
Scifi book; "Thicker Than Blood"  http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com
My maker blog; "The modness", http://themodness.wordpress.com
A bitcoin: A precious number, verified with a secret number, recorded in a
distributed public ledger.