[Lilug Planning] LILUG Government Meeting June 23rd

Matt Surico surico at buoy.com
Thu Jun 18 05:45:06 PDT 2009

odinson wrote:
> Hi John
>
> OK cool. My schedule is pretty flexible. So lets try Wed the 1st at
> 8pm as an alternative if everyone can't do Monday. I think it's
> important you are there too.
>
> Matt
Hi everyone

Email at mail.buoy.com got logjammed around 5 PM yesterday and email
didn't start flowing again 'til almost midnight, so I missed the rest of
the discussion you guys were having about the date for the gov't meeting.

I'm moving into a time period that's going to restrict my ability to get
out to a meeting. I'm the musicial director of a play in Smithtown and
we're about to go into dress rehearsals and then tech week. Weds July 1
is one of those dates. In fact, Tue/Wed/Thur for the next three weeks
are NG for me. I also have a couple of band gigs on the next 2 Fridays
to further impinge on my evenings.

In general, Mondays are not good for me. I actually will have some
Tuesdays freeing up soon once the play actually starts (and I should be
at the 7/14 general meeting - Mark, thanks for offering on the
projector, which we'll coordinate for future meetings that I might miss).

So .... I applaud the decision to have a meeting and talk about these
topics. For me, unfortunately, I will not be able to make a meeting
during the week until after the next LILUG general meeting.

I believe one of the intentions of the meeting is to finalize and vote
on all the changes to existing LILUG documents (and approval of anything
new) for the purposes of the 501(c)3 application. We still have work to
do in order to complete this documentation. John had an excellent idea
of putting documents for review out on Google Docs (glad it's still
there after all these months, and I did look at what is there right now
... by-laws are looking good), and we might end up using that medium
plus IRC to work through the process. We should attempt to write most of
what we need before we meet about it to make the face-to-face meeting
more productive, and we're not quite there yet.

GIve me a couple more days and I'll try to upload some stuff to Google
Docs myself plus set up an IRC discussion about where we stand.

Doing IRC after 10 PM most nights, even with my crazy schedule coming
up, should work for me; hopefully that's a way to bridge the gap until
we can meet face to face in what's more and more looking like July.

I have started looking into NY State not-for-profit status ... looks
like it may be a bit more involved than doing same for Federal status,
but I think once we have the IRS approval, we should then have a lot of
the work behind us. IRS approval will probably only take a month once we
submit everything to them.

Thanks for hanging in there, everyone. We will get this all done
relatively soon!

Cheers
Matt S