[Lilug Planning] Idea I'm thinking about for a lilug or liphp meeting: photoshop/gimp/inkscape/paint.net talk

Mark Drago markdrago at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:56:46 PDT 2009

Justin,

interested will be able to follow along.  I've also replied in-line so
newcomers can follow the conversation somewhat linearly.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 18:35, Justin Dearing <zippy1981 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So at least on the web development side of things, the ability to use a
> graphical editor better would be beneficial to most programmer/sysadmin
> types. So I got to thinking if I could get a designer type to talk about one
> or more of the above programs it would be a good talk,
>
> LIPHP might be a better forum for this, but you guys have more members to
> make it worth an outside spekers time, and I think it would be an
> appropriate LILUG topic assuming it was inkscape or paint.net.

I think this is key.  In order for this to be interesting to the
general lilug audience it would have to be based on an editor that was
both open source and available for Linux.  Unfortunately that would
rule-out paint.net.  I like it for Windows machines, but I don't think
a talk about paint.net would go over well at LILUG.  But, Inkscape,
GIMP, pencil [0], blender, etc. would all be appropriate.  Of course,
finding someone who is qualified to give the talk on anything that is
non-photoshop may prove to be a challenge.

[0] http://www.pencil-animation.org/

> So I'd be willing to do the leg (or email) work of attempting to get a
> speaker. Would you guys be willing to host a talk on using graphical
> editors, or promote it if LIPHP hosted it?

I personally think it's a great idea for a talk.

> The precise nature of the topic would depend on the tool and the speaker of
> course. My only thought at this point is anything but photo retouching.

I understand that photo retouching isn't an often-used skill for web
developers, but if the talk included a bit about photo retouching I
think that would go over well at Lilug.  So, for the sake of web
developers the talk  probably shouldn't be entirely about photo
retouching, but if that was covered as part of a more general talk
about editing graphics I think that would be cool.

> Regards,
> Justin Dearing

Thanks Justin!

Mark.