[Lilug Planning] Mono Talk

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 19:13:30 PST 2011

Hey,

So right now I'm porting an ASP.NET app to mono, and it looks like I will be
successful enough to use mono on apache in production. It would take me a
while to have enough material for a full blown talk, but I could have one in
March or April.

Stuff I would talk about:

   - Things that I am surprised that just worked
   - Strategies to deal with Porting a sql server app (haven't done this one
   yet)
   - PHP <--> /NET interop (been doing this on windows already for a few
   years)
   - Your options for hosting ASP.NET
   - What doesn't work (I really haven't run into any show stopper yet, but
   thats probably the subset of .NET I am using)
   - What to stick to if you want to be cross platform in the future.
   - What I honestly miss from Visual Studio compared to monodevelop

I don't know if the combination of something so dev-ish and window-ish would
fit with a group that tends towards Linux professionals on the operations
side of things. However, I could make it more sysadminy by talking about how
to install mono and what distro to pick if that is a concern.

Justin