[Lilug Planning] {Spam?} Re: [Government] Lilug and Social Media

Matt Surico surico at mail.buoy.com
Wed Jan 4 08:58:55 PST 2012

On 01/04/2012 10:25 AM, Mark Drago wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 09:44, Matt Surico<surico at mail.buoy.com>  wrote:
>> On 01/03/2012 11:13 PM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM, ~ ~<hydratek at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> We never answered this question on the original thread. Unless anyone
>>> objects I'd say we allow Eitan (aka variable) to take the necessary steps to
>>> register the lilug channel. We can be voted on formally at January's
>>> meeting. He's agreed to take the initiative on this and I feel that counts
>>> for a lot. If anyone disagrees please speak up in the interim.
>>
>> I definitely agree with this!
>>
>> Matt S
>> LILUG Secretary
> I agree - but I don't see the purpose of the vote.  If Eitan is
> willing to kick some ass he should just kick ass.

And yes, I agree with Mark here (and Matt N voiced a similar bit in a
separate email).

I definitely appreciate the fact that several folks have stepped forward
and are willing to get LILUG moving in a more positive direction.  I
know no one wants to step on anyone's toes or go about doing anything
"wrongly".  But a vote isn't needed (we all seem to be reaching
consensus on the registration of the channel and having Eitan be
responsible for it).

The LILUG govt's job in a case like this is to ensure nothing untoward
is being done (i.e., that the action  is not against the group's
by-laws).  If there's sufficient disagreement within the gov't or within
the committee (and consensus can't be reached), then a vote (put to the
general membership) may be needed.

Here's the section of the by-laws that deals with this.  Short answer
here is that since the gov't members feel that the committee is doing
the right thing in (a) pursuing a registration of the lilug channel and
(b) having Eitan be the representative for it, then yep, no vote is needed.

"ARTICLE V - CONDUCTING LILUG BUSINESS

LILUG business consists of motions related to: - The creation of new
officer positions or committees. - The delegation of power to officers
or committees. - The election of officers. - A motion for impeachment
proceedings against an officer. - The allocation of LILUG funds. - The
amendment of the LILUG constitution.

A motion may depend on the passage of a motion currently under
consideration. If the prerequisite motion fails to pass, the dependent
motion automatically fails.

Whenever possible, LILUG business shall be conducted by consensus.
Consensus on a motion shall be considered achieved when the proposal is
brought up on a LILUG electronic forum one week prior to a regular
meeting without any active member objecting or the motion being withdrawn.

If consensus cannot be achieved after two meetings, a vote can be called
either by the meetings presiding officer or by verbal request of at
least half of the active members present. If a vote is called the motion
must be decided by the voting process given below.

If a vote is not called, the presiding officer may at his or her
discretion either carry the motion over to the next meeting or declare
the motion dead."

Cheers all
Matt S
LILUG Secretary