[Lilug-dev-sig] Android and Linux

robwilkens at gmail.com robwilkens at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:11:31 PST 2010

Last night before the general meeting, I believe it was Mike C. and I were talking about (briefly) whether or not Android was Linux...  I did a quick search to find where I saw hints that it was...

Here is that link:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html

says
“By default, every application runs in its own Linux process.”
“By default, each application is assigned a unique Linux user ID.”

All on the first section in the document, so that tells me that android _IS_ linux with some additions.

I don’t know that much about android otherwise, but developing Java apps is fairly straightforward so writing apps for android is easy enough at least with eclipse (which I’m using on Windows, though is available on Linux).

-Rob