[Lilug-dev-sig] Does this group still exist?

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Fri Mar 2 16:16:33 PST 2018

Robert Wilkens:
> I recall last time I attended a meeting of this group, it was me and one other guy at Panera.
[...]
> So, is this something I can freely discuss here?

I have not heard of dev-sig meeting in a long time.  Looking at the archives,
the last message sent to this list (before this one) was in 2012.
   http://lists.lilug.org/pipermail/lilug-dev-sig-lilug.org/

Being that the state of and status things with Lilug aren't clear, I'll point
out what I know.

--------------

SI-SIG still meets once a month at Panera at the Walt Whitman Mall.
Lilug still meets once a month in Plainvew. The directions on the Directions
page on how to get there are current.

The Lilug.org front page still lists an IRC meeting once/month, and are
automated to show current dates, but those IRC meetings have not happened in
about five years. None of the officers have joined the channel in a long, long
time. Occasionally someone new still shows up in the IRC channel looking to talk
to Lilug officers for the IRC meeting, whereby someone has to explain this
situation to them. :-( I really wish the advertisement of the IRC meeting were
removed from the website.

Something happened to the Lilug main mailing list archives in 2015, and now all
the archives from 1998-March 2015 are missing.

The listings for who the Treasurer and the Secretary in the "About" page on the
Lilug website are currently wrong.

The Lilug Planning mailing list now seems to only get spam.

The Meeting Minutes for 2015-2017 have only 5 out of 36 entries filled in.  The
Secretary that was responsible for making those entries left the position in
November 2017.

When I looked at the Lilug Jobs page a month ago, there were a bunch of listings
that looked like spam. Today when I look the Jobs link appears to be broken. DNS
lookups for jobs.lilug.org fail.

All the "Archived Archives" links in the Mailing Lists page seem to all go to
missing wiki pages.

The link to the Mailing List guidelines goes to a missing wiki page.

At the November 2017 meeting the President suggested opening up the meetings to
"open source anything" topics, e.g. "open source genetics". This would seem to
conflict with Article II of the Lilug Bi-Laws, which state that the purpose for
Lilug is to promote the use of free open source software.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us