[Lilug] NAS mounting problem

Will will at psychdesigns.net
Thu Feb 5 12:56:49 PST 2009

Ok, so I've run into a bit of a problem...

We're running a streaming video server at my job, and rather then pay the
company we got it from for a 2 terabyte upgrade, we wanted to use a NAS. (I
know, it's a very bad idea, but it beats forking over tons of money for
something as simple as a hard disk)

The machine is running a 2.4 kernel, with some version of Red Hat. The NAS
is running windows server 2003.

When I tried to mount the NAS through samba, I discovered that the kernel
doesn't have smbfs support built in, so I tried using NFS instead. The
problem is, whenever I use the mount command, it just hangs. Here's the
relevant line from the script I wrote:

mount -t nfs -o hard,intr,nfsvers=2 $HOSTNAME:$SHARE $MOUNTPOINT

I tried various versions of NFS, but it still doesn't seem to work. I also
tried just passing "mount $HOSTNAME:$SHARE $MOUNTPOINT", but that didn't
work either. Whenever I run the command, it just hangs, and I have to open
up another terminal and run killall on my script.

The NAS can be pinged from the machine, so it's accessible from the
network. The variables I'm specifying are correct as well.

Anybody have a clue what may be going on?