[Lilug] Multi-Site Suggestions

Michael Lee mlee456 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 14:17:50 PST 2009

I have a situation where I have users in several different locations.
 Currently they are all VPN'ed to the main office so they can access an
Oracle Server using Red Hat that is central to their operation.  I really
don't have access to the Oracle Server and really don't want to touch it if
I can help it.
All the desktops are those "other OS's"

My problem is that I have to get all these desktops on some shared/private
storage directories with roaming profiles, login scripts and central
authentication with mixed clients ( Windows, Mac OS ).

I have been tossing around a single server accessible via the VPN vs.
multiple servers at each location that sync user directories, shared folders
and maybe ldap tables, I'd love to run Postfix, Samba, Squid, and all the
other linux goodies.  I was even thinking of a private IRC so persons in the
separate offices can "chat via the channel"

I figured I'd toss it up to the group for ideas.

So far I've looked into Debian, Ubuntu, ClarkConnect, SLES, back to Debian.
 I'm about to load up a server and go back to Ubuntu again so I can take a
look at ebox as a management tool.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Big up to kupo who spotted me on the irc.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas

Mike Lee