[Lilug] Multi-Site Suggestions

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:11:53 PST 2009

MIcheal,

You've got a metric ton of problems to solve here. Break it out into
separate problems.

   1. Get same 3 working with LDAP. read this doc:
   http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
   Note: I have not used this doc in a while but I own the dead tree version
   and the online version was much better than the original dead tree version
   even 4 years ago.
   2. Setup roaming profiles on a local windows box.
   3. Move your vpn's authentication over to the ldap server.
   4. If you have remote machines that will never be on the local network I
   don't know how you will solve the chicken and egg problem of getting that
   users AD credentials cached locally. Unless you give them a hardware router
   for vpning in or find wondows vpn software that runs as a service.
   5. Once you have all this working on windows machines, do the same for
   your mac and linux clients.
   6. Now solve the remove file mounting via login scripts and automount

I've not used samba 4 so I can't comment on how ready it is.

Regards,

Justin Dearing