[Lilug] Dual Head question

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Wed Feb 18 11:20:08 PST 2009

My laptop has a VGA output, and I got dual-headed support set up pretty
easily with xrandr.

The problem is that the laptop is a bit of a black box and Just Worked,
so I'm not sure how to get a desktop machine going this route.

My desktop has, according to lspci a "Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ",
which also Just Works for a single display with Compiz enabled.

I'd like to make the desktop dual-head.  Anybody know which of these is
simplest/cheapest:

1) Just buy another video card, any brand, put it in, install drivers,
and it will Just Work using xrandr

2) Cannot mix <insert brand> with Intel on-board, so must buy a
dual-port video card and disable on-board

3) Any other options?