[Lilug] Fun with debian packages

Larry Leight sular at juno.com
Sat Feb 14 08:11:51 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:09:05 -0500 Larry Leight <sular at juno.com> writes:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:31:44 -0500 Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> writes:
Chris Knadle wrote:
On Friday 13 February 2009, Kenneth Downs wrote:

I'm experimenting with a debian package on a virtual machine, and
have managed to get to the state where nothing can be installed
until this package is removed, but the package cannot be removed
because it cannot find an archive for it.

I'd like to learn something here, which is how to tell ubuntu to
get rid of the package even if it cannot find an archive?

sudo dpkg -P <package name>

I've loaded plenty of packages that have no online archives for
them -- it's not required for a package to have an archive in order
to install or remove it.

  -- Chris

I'll try.  I guess I should have said I'm trying *build* a package, and
have built one that is broken, and has left the machine unable install
anything until its fixed.

...and like I said, it's a virtual, so I can just rollback to the
post-install snapshot, but I thought it would be a good idea to stop and
this point and learn how to repair this.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.

Free information - Scholarships for college, university or tech school.
Click now!