[Lilug] LiveCD disk backup software

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 06:51:36 PST 2009

> Yeah, for what I'm doing I need to be able to restore the whole disk
> easily including the partition tables and everything.

Then use dd. I used it to make images of my boot sector for an acer one
that I was turning dual boot. The restore software is built into their
boot loader, so I needed to have that in case <inevitable> something
went wrong with Windows </inevitable> and I had to do a restore.

dd will keep all the blank space, though. You may want to keep an image
of the boot sector and partition table, and a tar of your file system.