[Lilug] SheevaPlug

dotCOMmie (Ilya S.) lilug at dotcommie.net
Thu Feb 26 16:31:52 PST 2009

Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009, Will wrote:
>> That would make a really awesome thin client.
>
> Actually, no -- it has no display.  I suppose you could find a way to
> get a display via USB, but I don't being a thin client is the
> application it's meant for.  It would, however, be a great little
> remote Linux box for checking remote sensors like temperatures, a
> camera, or to be an always-on box for doing Wake-On-Lan to wake up
> other machines from.  Not good for a firewall because there's only
> one ethernet device.

The biggest problem I see is lack of wifi. Not many homes are wired for Ethernet
.. which is a shame. Some ideas for what to do with it:
  * Remote camera (as Chris already mentioned)
  * Printer server, although many modern printers come with ethernet. But there
    are some benefits to running a full print queue on something like this.
  * Remote USB, are there any USB over TCP standards? If not there should be.
  * Remote sound card. How many people want to pipe their computer(s) to the
    central living room sound system.