[Lilug] Notification of Vote on Amendment to LILUG By-Laws

Matt Surico surico at buoy.com
Tue Jun 1 07:24:22 PDT 2010

Hello fellow LILUGers

As some of you know from the past history of our group, we became a
not-for-profit organization in New York State in July, 2005.  LILUG
government has always wanted to get official status as a tax-exempt
501(c)3 organization from the IRS.  We've been working behind the scenes
to make that a reality and have one more step left to do that requires
the help of the group at large.

One of the Articles in our by-laws deals with what constitutes a "LILUG
member" (after all, we *are* a membership organization!).
Unfortunately, what is stated in the by-laws and what is reality are two
different things.  We used to pass around an attendance sheet and keep
track of who went to meetings, but that fell by the wayside.  Plus,
LILUG government wanted things to be a bit easier and more open for
everyone.  Therefore, to satisfy the IRS requirements of defining who
members truly are, we are proposing the following change to our by-laws:

Here is the current wording:

-=-=-=-=-

ARTICLE III - QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP
Criteria for active membership will be attendance of 1 regular LILUG
meeting every 3 months. Exceptions can be made with approval of the
president (or acting vice-president) and with two-thirds of the present
remaining membership approval at the next regular meeting.

-=-=-=-=-

And here is the change in wording:

-=-=-=-=-

ARTICLE III - QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP

A person becomes a permanent member of LILUG if he or she either:
(a) attends a meeting and adds his or her name to the permanent
membership list, which is kept by the Secretary or another officer
designated by the Secretary,
or,
(b) is signed up for the Main LILUG email list, in which case his or her
name will be placed on the permanent membership list by the Secretary or
another officer designated by the Secretary

-=-=-=-=-

We need to take a vote on this change.  And based on another Article in
our by-laws, we need to notify everyone in the group about this vote at
least one week prior to the general meeting when the vote will take
place.  Therefore, this vote will take place on Tuesday June 8th (our
next scheduled meeting).  For the purposes of this vote, all who are
present at the meeting will be allowed to cast a vote on this amendment.

We are also posting this as part of the upcoming meeting announcement on
our website.

Thanks in advance for reading all this, and we look forward to seeing
you on June 8th, not only for the vote, but for Mark Drago's talk on
ButterFS, which should definitely be excellent.

Cheers,
Matt S.
LILUG Secretary