[Lilug] Speeding up remote X11 over intercontinental connections

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 04:31:57 PDT 2015

Lewis,

By rootless, I meant no root window, no background or window manager.

My Xming32 is setup so x11 apps intermingle with my local windows apps and
the win32 gui is my window manager, just the same as you doing ssh -X
REMOTE_HOST xterm on a Linux desktop and the remote xterm showing up next
to the local ones

Justin
 Hey, buddy...

FreeNX is indeed your best bet on the server side.

By "rootless X session" I assume you mean a non-root login from the remote
side vs the server daemon running non-root? In either case, the answer is
yes: you can install FreeNX to run as non-root on the server side, and yes,
you can connect using OpenNX and log in as a non-root user.

Obviously, running the server daemon as non-root can have some limitations
when trying to, for example, log into a session as a user with
higher/different privs than the user account under which the server is
running (LOL), and is mainly useful for extending your own account to a
remote location vs serving a wide range of users logging into the system.

In the setup I had running, it was really only for three users, and each
had about the same privs (fairly limited, too; the main use of the desktop
was to run Firefox and Chromium, and as I say, proxy those outbound
connections through different IPs). I ran FreeNX as a privileged user
mainly for my own convenience. If I would have had a larger group of users
to support, I would have run it in a jail, most likely, which may be
another option for you to consider, depending upon how much control you
have over the remote system.

HTH