[Lilug] Speeding up remote X11 over intercontinental connections

Lewis G Rosenthal lgrosenthal at 2rosenthals.com
Sat Apr 25 08:18:43 PDT 2015

Hey, buddy...

FreeNX is indeed your best bet on the server side.

By "rootless X session" I assume you mean a non-root login from the remote
side vs the server daemon running non-root? In either case, the answer is
yes: you can install FreeNX to run as non-root on the server side, and yes,
you can connect using OpenNX and log in as a non-root user.

Obviously, running the server daemon as non-root can have some limitations
when trying to, for example, log into a session as a user with
higher/different privs than the user account under which the server is
running (LOL), and is mainly useful for extending your own account to a
remote location vs serving a wide range of users logging into the system.

In the setup I had running, it was really only for three users, and each had
about the same privs (fairly limited, too; the main use of the desktop was
to run Firefox and Chromium, and as I say, proxy those outbound connections
through different IPs). I ran FreeNX as a privileged user mainly for my own
convenience. If I would have had a larger group of users to support, I would
have run it in a jail, most likely, which may be another option for you to
consider, depending upon how much control you have over the remote system.

HTH