[Lilug] Civgene

Robert Wilkens robwilkens42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 18:07:55 PDT 2017

Also, it's interesting you kind of talked about open source hardware as a
'new' thing

In Feb 2001 "computer graphics" magazine, an ACM publication, this was
written about me in the public policy column:

(Excerpt, which i feel free to quote because it's basically my words)
"Wilkens' initial query was that if software could be considered a form of
speech and hence protected by the United States Constitution from
government control, perhaps a description of a hardware design could also
be considered speech and enjoy the same protection."

In other words, I was kind of saying, open source hardware design "should"
be a thing in 2001.  Of course, 3 months after that was published, i found
myself working on a military base, so ... maybe someone read that.  I wound
up disabled unfortunantely, because when i took that job i couldn't get a
doctor in maryland who was accepting new patients at the time.

==

Was surprised that the "DEVOPS" talk was less technical and more
'strategic' or 'political'. :-)  I watched more than half of it now.

---
Sent from Tablet