[Lilug] AWS, et al, for big data

Joe Goldberg joehgoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:21:04 PDT 2017

Both Amazon and Google have pricing calculators.  Basically you are paying for compute, storage and network.  If you have a good handle on those 3 metrics, you should be able to get a decent pricing estimate.

I am not too familiar with Google pricing but in AWS you can get nice discounts for 1-3 year commits and even more if you prepay part or all of the fee.

Also don’t discount Microsoft Azure.  They are very feature competitive with AWS and probably more advanced than Google.  They also give extreme discounts to educational and healthcare related institutions.

Now moving that amount of data to the cloud will be a challenge.  I am sure you will want to do a local replication and then ship it to them and then replicate the delta.

Joe