[Lilug] Favorite Python Libraries

Mike Costanzo quarsaw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 10:18:56 PST 2018

One I very recently learned about is ptpython.

https://github.com/jonathanslenders/ptpython

If you ever use an interactive command line to try out snippets, this is a
nice upgrade.
It has highlighting, suggestions, and it keeps history in blocks instead of
just one line at a time.

I often find myself going to a command line to try out some snippet before
using it in my code.
If the snippet is anything more than a one-liner, (say, try/except, a small
loop, something in a context manager, etc..)
it becomes really annoying to modify and retry in the standard interpreter.
ptpython makes is as trivial as hitting up, modify, then re-run.

Unfortunately, I won't be there to do 5 minutes on it, but anyone who
installs it and plays with it themselves for 5 minutes will know enough to
show it on a screen! (a sign of a well-made tool)

-Mike