[Lilug] dd restore process

Joe toolfox at gmail.com
Mon May 6 15:22:23 PDT 2019

On 5/5/19 8:21 PM, Bill Catlan wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am thinking of using dd to archive off some physical hard drives -
> ext, ext2, ext3 and fat32, and ntfs and restore them as time allows as
> virtual machines, probably on AWS. I have found various things online
> about how to do this, but have not tried them just yet.

Clonezilla on a USB stick might work as well. It has options for doing
remote work on local networks (there are choices for samba and ssh among
others)...and AWS S3 is a specific option.

A quick Web search also shows many pages on running Clonezilla archives
in virtual machines.

I used it to migrate my system's Windows 10 install from the factory
original 128 GB SSD to a 512 GB drive. It also has gdisk available to
move the GPT backup directory to the physical end of the disk, allowing
you to use the unused space on a larger drive when you're cloning a
smaller drive (if not, you'd just have a drive the same size as the
original image with no other way to reclaim the missing space).