[Lilug Planning] access lilug videos from lilug.org

Mark Drago markdrago at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 06:40:28 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 17:37, Ilya Sukhanov <ilya at sukhanov.net> wrote:
> Mark Drago wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> So, the videos that we have online at archive.org are absolutely
>> amazing.  They're a wonderful contribution to the linux world and a
>> great way to preserve the fleeting existence of a lilug meeting.  But
>> I'm worried that they can be difficult to find.
>>  This way
>> everyone would know where to find them (lilug.org/videos for example)
>> and it would make our site much more useful.  It would be even better
>> if we had the embed link on the page and the videos could be watched
>> right there on the lilug wiki.
>
> I've looked into this possibility but wikimedia does not support the embed
> tag natively. Last I checked there were plugins/patches  which enabled
> support for some type of embed objects or sources. For some reason it would
> not work with archive.org.
>
> Not sure if everyone's aware but archive.org does allow you to embed media
> published through them in other sites.
>
> It'd be a nice wikimedia hack for a devsig!

Perhaps we could add archive.org support to this mediawiki extension:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo

Or, we could just make videos.lilug.org and put up a page that
contains whatever we want.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a part
of the wiki, although I think being a part of the wiki has advantages.

Mark.